An education-oriented community with high expectations for its schools, the Half Hollow Hills Central School District is located in a residential area of 40,000 people in the central part of Long Island, approximately 40 miles from New York City. Providing for the education of almost 8,550 students, the school district has five elementary schools, two middle schools and two high schools. Half Hollow Hills High Schools are fully accredited by the New York State Department of Education and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
The District is committed to providing students opportunities to excel in academics, athletics, and the arts.
- Half Hollow Hills was recognized by the NAMM Foundation for being one of the "Best Communities for Music Education in 2016 in America!
- Half Hollow Hills is proud to have had numerous musical accomplishments this year including 5 NAfME All -Naitional Winners, 8 NAfME All-Eastern Winners and 16 selected for NYSSMA All-State. Click for details
- The Half Hollow Hills Art Department is proud to announce numerous winners this year in local and national art contests. Click for details
- Our Mandarin Chinese program is continuing to grow with our first group of seniors beginning in Fall 2014.
- All district buildings have earned high mastery and proficiency rates on all three Regents exams, as well as the 3rd through 8th grade New York State mathematics assessments.
- Elementary students participate in the math Olympiads as well as provide enrichment opportunities throughout the school year for many students.
- Annually, many students participate in the American Mathematics Exam and Suffolk County Math Contest providing opportunities for HHH secondary students to compete against their peers regionally and nationally.
- Both high schools have Mathletes and the American Computer Science League clubs that annually produce both team and individual members who receive state and/or national awards.
- Identified students in grades 7-12 participate in the annual Long Island Math Fair, where students regularly earn medals for their accomplishments.
- Many high school math electives and forth year math courses are offered, resulting in more than 90% of our students continuing their math education throughout their entire high school career.
- Both high schools have Mathletes. Chess and the American Science League clubs that annually produce both team and individual members who receive state and/or national awards
Characteristics of a Distinguished District
In our quest to become a nationally-recognized school district, we have identified what we feel are the characteristics of a distinguished district:
- Educators continually engage in their own learning.
- Staff knows students well and cares about them as individuals.
- Intellectually challenging and engaging curriculum and instructional practices are differentiated to meet individual needs. Curriculum and instruction includes mastery
of the basics, active inquiry, development of high-level intellectual skills, and real world learning experiences.
- Equitable opportunities for all students and staff are ensured.
- Student voice is encouraged and heard.
- Close ties with parents, families without children, senior citizens, colleges and universities, and members of the business community are forged.
- Safe, attractive school environments are provided for teaching and learning.
- Teachers have time to work together to improve teaching through collaboration and inquiry.
- Teachers and students are provided with and gain competency in the use of sophisticated leading-edge technologies and instructional/learning tools that support active inquiry and maximize the effectiveness of teaching and learning.
- All members of the school community are respected and supported.
- Each adult member of the school community exhibits good character and strives to inculcate in students the qualities of dignity, tolerance, and a sincere respect for the learning environment.
- Clear channels of communication are provided between and among all stakeholders.
- Student achievement is measured in ways that are directly linked to instructional [programs. Allows students to demonstrate their attainment of knowledge and skills
in multi-faceted ways.
- All students are effectively prepared for success in college, the world of work, and for active participation as citizens of the community, the nation, and the world.
- All possible revenue sources are sought and district finances are effectively managed to provided a cost-effective educational program.
- Public recognition is gained for the accomplishments of the district coupled with achievement beyond traditional expectations for each individual child.
- Systemic improvements endure for future generations.
- Successes of the organization and the individual are celebrated.
Our Instructional Program
Please view information concerning our Instructional Program by clicking here.